Brothers and Sisters in Recovery π
Yesterday was a lot of fun. My family went to see the fireworks, but before they could begin, the skies opened up and we got absolutely soaked. We never did get to see the fireworks, but something unexpected happened. Our neighbors started putting on their own fireworks show, and what could have been a disappointing evening turned into a memory we'll laugh about for years.
Recovery is a lot like that.
We all have plans. We picture how life is supposed to go. We think if we work hard, stay clean, and do the next right thing, everything should fall into place. But life doesn't always cooperate. Storms come. Plans change. Doors close. People disappoint us. Sometimes we end up standing in the rain wondering why things didn't work out the way we hoped.
The old us would have been angry. We would have looked for someone to blame or something to numb the disappointment. We might have convinced ourselves that one bad day gave us permission to throw everything away.
Recovery teaches us something different.
Recovery teaches us that we don't have to control the weather to enjoy the day. We can choose our attitude even when we can't choose our circumstances. Instead of standing there frustrated because we missed the fireworks, we can look around and discover that God may have something different—and sometimes even better—waiting for us.
Sometimes life isn't asking us to run from the rain. Sometimes it's inviting us to dance in it.
Every storm you survive builds strength. Every disappointment you face clean teaches resilience. Every obstacle you overcome without picking up becomes another testimony that recovery really works. The rain won't last forever, but the lessons you learn while standing in it will.
Don't let temporary storms make permanent decisions for you. Keep showing up. Keep believing. Keep putting one foot in front of the other. The sunshine always returns, and when it does, you'll appreciate it even more because you refused to quit during the storm.
So if you're in the middle of a rainy season today, don't lose heart. Lift your head. Smile anyway. Dance anyway. Laugh anyway. Trust the process anyway. Your breakthrough may be waiting just beyond the clouds.
One day at a time. Easy does it. Progress, not perfection. Keep coming back. It works if you work it, and you're worth it.
With love and gratitude,
Gary G
I've been in this phase they call THE WALL... everything is blah,want to feel good cuz I'm sober but there is only tears and loneliness. I'm fighting for my life but one thing I know is my God is walking with me,not me following Satan....I'm free to enjoy the path I'm on ....may not be where I want to be,but thank God,I'm not where I used to be!!π»
ReplyDelete