Brothers and Sisters in Recovery 🙏
Coming back from a relapse means I have to work the First Step all over again. Two things stand out to me more than anything right now: acceptance and honesty.
Acceptance comes in many forms. For me, the first thing I have to accept is that I am an addict. Somewhere along the way, I lost sight of that. I became complacent. I convinced myself that I was okay, and eventually, I used.
But the truth is simple: one is too many, and a thousand is never enough.
That is why honesty has to become the foundation of my recovery again. I have to stop lying to myself. I have to stop telling the people who love me that I'm okay when I'm not. One lie can turn into two, then three, then four, until eventually we're lying about everything and living a life built on deception.
I have to remember that I am powerless over my addiction and that my life becomes unmanageable when I try to run the show myself. My relapse showed me just how far I can fall when I stop working my program and start believing my own excuses.
So today, I'm doubling down.
I need a rigorous application of the program, not just a casual relationship with recovery. I need to wake up with intention. I need to lead with honesty. I need to stay connected, reach out when I'm struggling, listen to people who have walked this road before me, and do the things I know keep me clean.
Coming home from treatment has been an adjustment. Today I feel a little out of sorts, and that's okay. I don't have to have everything figured out today. I just have to stay clean today and take the next right step.
I'm learning to appreciate the small moments—the quiet moments, the people who love me, the simple things I used to take for granted. And perhaps most importantly, I'm learning that I have to love myself enough to believe that I am worth saving.
When the people who love me tell me they love me, I need to let those words sink in. When they tell me I have value, I need to believe them. Because I do have value. I am worth it. And my mistakes do not have to define the rest of my story.
A relapse doesn't have to be the end of recovery. It can be the moment we stop running, get honest, surrender again, and start rebuilding.
So today I choose recovery.
Today I choose honesty.
Today I choose acceptance.
Today I choose to stay teachable.
Today I choose to reach out instead of isolate.
And today, just for today, I choose not to use.
One day at a time.
Keep it simple.
Let go and let God.
Easy does it.
Just for today.
Keep coming back—it works if you work it.
With love and gratitude,
Gary G
I am grateful you stayed!! I been in the complacency department and me too, I had to do things different. FYI. I knew you wasn't okay. I love you and Wifee! Thank you for sharing!
ReplyDeleteGary, what touched me most was your willingness to look at your relapse with honesty without allowing it to define the rest of your story. That line about learning to love yourself enough to believe you are worth saving really stayed with me. You ARE worth it. Thank you for sharing the difficult parts as well as the hopeful ones. One day, one hour, one minute, one breath at a time. ❤️
ReplyDelete