Brothers and Sisters in Recovery π
It’s been a long 30 days.
About a month ago, I relapsed. Looking back, I realize that I had become complacent. I had allowed myself to become overconfident and to believe that I was somehow stronger than my addiction. I also learned firsthand that the pink cloud of recovery is very real.
When I left the structure of recovery, I stopped participating in meetings. I stopped doing the things that had kept me grounded, and I allowed myself to become dishonest. I stole medication from my wife. I abused my Suboxone. Then, when I was burned in a grease fire, I allowed myself to be given a shot of Dilaudid. I knew better. I knew I shouldn't take it, but in my overconfidence, I convinced myself that I could handle it.
I couldn't.
That decision ultimately led me back into treatment, where I spent 28 days taking a hard look at myself and my recovery.
I learned a very important lesson: I can never become complacent with my addiction.
Today, I have a new understanding of recovery. I'm more cautious, more humble, and more willing to accept that I need this program, my meetings, my support system, and the people who love me. I don't want to take my recovery for granted ever again.
I hope that by sharing my experience, someone else can learn from my mistakes. What happened to me could have ended very differently. I could have gone back out completely. I could have returned to the life I fought so hard to escape. I could have overdosed. I could have died.
Instead, I'm still here.
And today, I am grateful.
I'm grateful to be alive.
I'm grateful for another chance at sobriety.
I'm grateful for my family.
I'm grateful for my freedom.
I'm grateful for walks in the woods.
I'm grateful for the sunrise in the morning.
I'm grateful for a hot cup of coffee.
And I'm grateful for each and every one of you.
Recovery isn't about being perfect. It's about being willing to get back up when we fall, learn from our mistakes, and keep moving forward.
Keep coming back.
One day at a time.
Easy does it.
Progress, not perfection.
Keep it simple.
Let go and let God.
Just for today, I will stay clean.
No matter how far you've fallen, there is always a way back.
With love and gratitude,
Gary G.
Gary - I was so happy to take you home to your family yesterday & I am confident you can do this - one day at a time, committing to God & to the program & living your words! I am so proud of you for taking the steps you did & choosing life!
ReplyDelete