Brothers and Sisters in Recovery 🙏
Pain is a great equalizer.
Our stories may be different. We've lived different lives, experienced different things, and developed different perspectives about the world around us. But pain is pain. It hurts just the same, regardless of where it comes from or who is experiencing it.
I've experienced more than my share of pain. And honestly, I'm tired of hurting.
I'm tired of waking up in the morning and wanting to get high. I'm tired of carrying the weight of all those years spent in prison and dealing with the PTSD and memories that came home with me. I'm tired of the chaos, the lies, the fear, the consequences, and all the bullshit and fuckery that comes with living the life of an addict.
I don't want that life anymore.
I want peace.
I want to wake up in the morning and be grateful that I'm alive. I want to sit on the porch with a cup of coffee and watch the sunrise. I want to spend time with my wife and my son. I want to cook a good dinner, laugh, enjoy the little things, and actually be present for the life happening right in front of me.
For so long, I thought getting high was the way to escape my pain. Today I'm learning that I don't have to escape my pain—I can learn how to live through it.
Recovery doesn't erase our past. It doesn't magically make everything easy. But it gives us a chance to stop running and start healing. It gives us people who understand us, a program to guide us, and another day to make a different choice.
I don't need a perfect life. I just want a peaceful one. And today, I'm willing to do the work for it.
If you're hurting today, please don't give up. You don't have to figure out the rest of your life today. Just stay clean today. Reach out. Go to a meeting. Call somebody. Pray. Get honest. Take the next right step.
There is a life beyond addiction. There is peace beyond the chaos. There is hope beyond the pain.
One day at a time.
One moment at a time.
Keep coming back.
It works if you work it.
Surrender, trust, and keep moving forward.
Play the tape all the way through.
And remember: one is too many, and a thousand is never enough.
Today, I choose recovery. Today, I choose peace. Today, I choose life.
With love and gratitude,
Gary G.
Comments
Post a Comment