Brothers and Sisters in Recovery π
Sometimes, dealing with life on life’s terms means I have to change my perspective. In a simplified way, I have two choices: I can be optimistic, or I can be pessimistic.
If I choose pessimism, everything becomes a problem. Things aren’t going the way I want, and before long I’m dissatisfied, frustrated, and angry. But when I choose optimism, I can look at the same situation differently. I can choose to see the cup as half full instead of half empty.
Take today, for example. I have an appointment and I need to make a two-hour drive to get to an NA meeting. I could sit here and think, “This is going to suck. I’m going to be stuck in the car for two hours dealing with traffic.” Or I can look at it differently. I can look forward to going to my meeting, seeing some old friends, and being surrounded by people who understand this journey.
I also know that at my appointment, I’m going to get the medication I need. I’m not exactly thrilled about getting a shot in the ass, but I know it’s something that is going to help me in the long run. Sometimes recovery means doing things we don’t particularly enjoy because we know they are good for us.
That’s life in recovery. We don’t always get to choose what happens, but we do get to choose how we respond to it. We can focus on everything that’s wrong, or we can look for the good that’s still there.
Today, I’m choosing gratitude over resentment, acceptance over resistance, and hope over negativity. I’m choosing to look for the lesson instead of complaining about the circumstance. My attitude can change my entire day, and sometimes changing my perspective is all it takes to see that things aren’t nearly as bad as I first thought.
So today, let’s keep our heads up and our hearts open. Take life one day at a time. When things get difficult, pause, breathe, pray, and reach out. We don’t have to face this life alone.
One day at a time.
Easy does it.
Keep coming back.
Progress, not perfection.
Just for today, stay clean.
When we get clean, we get to live.
One is too many and a thousand is never enough.
Keep it simple.
Let go and let God.
Trust the process, work the program, and keep moving forward.
With love and gratitude,
Gary G.
Thanks again Gary another great and inspiring message TV instead of mentioning about perspective How I view my day I will determine what kind of a day I’m going to have That’s the choice I’m able to make.. And then you made another great point that I can’t control the action but I can’t control how I react to it. I for that I’m truly grateful. Take care and God bless you and your family
ReplyDelete