Brothers and Sisters in Recovery 🙏
Radical acceptance is the foundation of recovery. And that goes hand in hand with surrender. Before you can surrender, you have to accept. I accept the fact that I'm an addict. As much as I hate to admit it, I am. I accept the fact that I'm not good at everything, even though I know a little bit about everything.
Acceptance doesn't mean that I have to like everything about my life or everything that has happened to me. It simply means that I stop fighting reality. I can't change yesterday, I can't control other people, and I can't always control what happens around me. What I can control is how I respond.
For me, surrender means putting down the fight and being willing to do something different. It means admitting when I'm wrong, asking for help when I need it, and being willing to listen instead of always thinking I have the answer.
Recovery has taught me that I don't have to have everything figured out today. I just have to be willing to take the next right step. Some days that step might be going to a meeting. Some days it might be making an apology, calling my sponsor, or simply choosing not to pick up.
The beautiful thing about acceptance and surrender is that they give me the freedom to live in the solution instead of constantly fighting the problem. I don't have to be perfect. I just have to be honest, open-minded, and willing.
So today, I choose acceptance over resistance and surrender over control. I choose recovery, one day at a time.
Just for today.
Keep coming back.
With love and gratitude,
Gary G.
Comments
Post a Comment